Stories of Former Days
The Origins of the Garibaldi Train Set
Polson Logging #90
Polson Logging #90 is a 90-ton 2-8-2 steam locomotive built by Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia, PA, in 1926. She was built for the Polson Logging Company of Hoquiam, Washington, where she remained active on their roster until Polson was purchased by Rayonier Inc. in 1945. She continued to haul logs under the Rayonier name until Rayonier made the decision to move to diesel motive power in 1962. On March 31, 1962 #90 was one of two steam locomotives chosen to pull the last steam hauled log trains on the line at a special “Farewell to Steam” event that was attended by a large number of railfans, local citizens, and state officials (see video on the right).
Upon retirement Rayonier were unwilling to simply scrap a fully working locomotive, so she was offered for sale at her scrap value of $1250.00. She was purchased by the Lions Club of Garibaldi in 1963, and in 1964 was moved to Garibaldi with the generous help of several different railroads in a show of support for the preservation effort. Once in Garibaldi the #90 was placed on display as a tourist attraction and there became a landmark of the town and county.
Spokane, Portland and Seattle 215
The Spokane, Portland and Seattle 215 was originally built in 1912 by the Barney & Smith Car Company as a first class seating coach. It served on lines across the SP&S network. It is one of the last generation of wooden body passenger cars built around a steel frame, before passenger cars began to be of entirely steel construction.
Southern Pacific 712
This caboose is part of the C-30-1 series of cabooses first ordered by Southern Pacific in 1917, and widely used across the entire SP network. It was the first class of Southern Pacific cabooses to carry a "Harriman" designation: the "C" stands for "Caboose," the 30 refers to a weight of 30-tons, and the 1 means it was the first series of that weight class. Over 600 C-30-1s were built by the SP, making them the most numerous class of caboose in use on the network. They were also long lived: still being regularly used into the 1960s. Though similar to earlier cabooses, they C-30-1 design incorporated several improvements, including a steel riveted under-frame; this made the cars sturdier and safer, especially on runs where helper locomotives were required to push long trains up steep gradients.